Seroprevalence of Brucella Antibody Titer in Rural population of Abhar, Iran


Bahram Amini 1 , * , Hamid Baghchesaraie 1 , Davod Taimori Jelodar 1

1 Department of Microbiology, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, IR Iran

How to Cite: Amini B, Baghchesaraie H, Taimori Jelodar D. Seroprevalence of Brucella Antibody Titer in Rural population of Abhar, Iran, Arch Clin Infect Dis. Online ahead of Print ; 5(3):152-5.


Archives of Clinical Infectious Diseases: 5 (3); 152-5
Article Type: Brief Report


Background: Brucellosis is a major health problem worldwide, especially in developing countries. Following infection with brucella, antibodies appear in the serum and its titer detection can help us to evaluate the course and epidemic status of the infection. The aim of this study was to determine the seroprevalence of anti-brucella antibody titer in rural population of Abhar.

Patients and Methods: In this descriptive study, 300 individuals were randomly selected for whom blood samples were screened to determine anti-brucella antibody titter, using standard tube agglutination (STA) and Coombs tests.

Results: The seroprevalence of anti-brucella antibody titer was 1.25% for STA and 4.58% for Coombs test. Totally, 14 (5.83%) individuals had titers of 1/80 or higher in STA and/or Coombs tests.

Conclusions: Our results emphasizes on the necessity of conducting comprehensive and scheduled program of seroprevalence survey, particularly in rural area, aimed at reducing brucella prevalence as well as to guide planning and resource allocation of decision makers for future interventions.

Full Text

Full text is available in PDF

© 0, Author(s). This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License ( which permits copy and redistribute the material just in noncommercial usages, provided the original work is properly cited.