Long-term effect of exposure to mustard gas on male infertility


S Shakeri 1 , * , M Yazdani 2 , E Kheradpezhouh 3

1 Department of Urology,Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, [email protected], Fars, Iran

2 Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Frs, Iran

3 Pharmacology,Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Fars, Iran

How to Cite: Shakeri S, Yazdani M, Kheradpezhouh E. Long-term effect of exposure to mustard gas on male infertility, Iran Red Crescent Med J. Online ahead of Print ; 9(2):59-62.


Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal: 9 (2); 59-62
Article Type: Research Article


Background: Sulfur mustard is a noxious chemical and a carcinogen that causes acute and chronic injuries with both local and systemic effects. This study was conducted to investigate the long-term effect of sulfur mustard (mustard gas) on male infertility in couples, in whom the husbands were highly suspected of being exposed to mustard gas.


Methods: A total of 91 couples, in whom men, highly suspicious of being exposed to mustard gas during the Iran-Iraq war, were fully examined by an urologist and a gynecologist, and urged to provide semen for three standard sperm analyses.


Results: Of 91 couples, 40 were infertile 10 years after given that the frequency is approximately 10-12% in normal population. In addition, thorough examination of the wives by a Gynecologist showed that of the foregoing 40 infertile couples, 8 (20%) of women suffered from infertility problems. The infertility of the remaining 32 (80%) was due to male factors as compared with 40-50% in the normal population. The results of the present research demonstrated that in the population under study, male factors had greater impact on infertility.


Conclusion: The exposure of males to mustard gas played a distinct role in long term infertility.

© 0, Author(s). This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) which permits copy and redistribute the material just in noncommercial usages, provided the original work is properly cited.

Full Text

Full text is available in PDF