Students’ Use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in the Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences, University of Calabar, Nigeria

AUTHORS

Samuel Okon Inyang 1 , * , Joseph Abebe Obu 2 , Amarachi Ufaniny Obasi 3

1 Associate Professor, Department of Physics, University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria

2 Lecturer,Department of Radiography, University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria

3 Student University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria

How to Cite: Inyang S O, Obu J A, Obasi A U. Students’ Use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in the Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences, University of Calabar, Nigeria, J Med Edu. 2017 ; 16(2):e105574. doi: 10.22037/jme.v16i2.15223.

ARTICLE INFORMATION

Journal of Medical Education: 16 (2); e105574
Published Online: October 17, 2017
Article Type: Research Article
Received: December 05, 2016
Accepted: August 12, 2017
Crossmark
Crossmark
CHECKING
READ FULL TEXT

Abstract

Background: This study was meant to evaluate the knowledge and utilization of information and communication technology (ICT) resources by students in the Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences, University of Calabar and recommend possible reforms to enhance knowledge and use of ICT by the students.Methods: A 31-item questionnaire was developed to evaluate the knowledge and use of ICT by students in the Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences, University of Calabar. The questionnaire was administeredto 240 students in the Faculty through random sampling after it was tested for validity. Data obtained were evaluated in terms of percentages and simple differences.Results: About 88 (40%) students had good knowledge of ICT while the remaining 132 (60%) did not have good ICT knowledge and were not trained previously. It was also discovered that all the Departmentsin the Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences did not have adequate ICT facilities. The results also showed that few students in the Faculty use ICT facilities for assignment, research and updating lecture notes while most students (n=194, 88.18%), use the available ICT facilities mainly for socialnetworking and recreation.Conclusion: ICT use by students in the Allied Medical Sciences faculty, University of Calabar, is low due to inadequacy of the ICT facilities and lack of training and competence.

Fulltext

The body of the article can be found in the PDF file.

References

  • 1.

    References are available in the PDF file

  • © 2017, Journal of Medical Education. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) which permits copy and redistribute the material just in noncommercial usages, provided the original work is properly cited.
    COMMENTS

    LEAVE A COMMENT HERE: